Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Always Confirm Appointments!

I'll bet it's happened to you, too.

I've had an appointment on my calendar for weeks, maybe even a few months.

As I try to always do, I show up 15 minutes early.

The appointment time arrives - the other party doesn't.

Ok, OK. Maybe I'm a stickler for time. Things happen. Traffic gets busy.

15 minutes after appointment time - the other party has not arrived.

30 minutes after appointment time - the other party has not arrived.

I decide I better give them a call.

Oops! I don't have their phone number in my cell.

Hopefully, I have it somewhere in the car.

(Sorry, but I don't have a Blackberry or iPhone with an address book, internet access, etc.)

I find the number.

I call.

I get hold of my other party (maybe the third call after going to voice mail twice!)

He forgot our appointment, is nowhere near the meeting spot, and promises to call next week to reschedule.

He's really, really sorry!

Full disclosure here - I've also received those calls from the very polite person on the other end of the phone who wonders where I am!

And, of course, I'm really, really sorry!

Solution:
Always, without fail - CONFIRM your appointments the day before!

Do it either by phone or email, and be certain, if leaving a voice mail or sending email - you get a response!

This simple idea will increase your productivity while lowering your stress level - Super!